Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've had a Roth IRA for 2 years. IN 1998 I only converted from a traditional IRA and elected to spread the payments out over 4 years. For 1998 I only had to report 25% of this amount on my 1040.

During 1999, I converted another traditional IRA into my Roth and made contributions to the Roth. No distributions at all. I've read over the Form 8606 instructions a couple of times but am not certain about where to enter the amount of my (non- rollover) contributions.

Can someone tell me? Also are there any good web sites that explain how to fill out the 8606 in plain English? For example, what is a 'basis'?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.