UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: phileephool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76078  
Subject: Roth IRA Date: 3/31/1999 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I understand that I can only contribute to a Roth IRA out of "earned income". I am retired and my income besides social security includes interest dividends and stock capital gains. Will that qualify?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9595 of 76078
Subject: Re: Roth IRA Date: 3/31/1999 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Phileephool, and welcome. You asked:

<<I understand that I can only contribute to a Roth IRA out of "earned income". I am retired and my income besides social security includes interest dividends and stock capital gains. Will that qualify?>>

Nope, it sure doesn't. You must have earned compensation from work (i.e., wages). Social Security payments, pension payments, interest, dividends and capital gains don't qualify as such.

Regards..Pixy

Author: Canth Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9604 of 76078
Subject: Re: Roth IRA Date: 4/1/1999 1:23 AM
As long as you have X thousand dollars of earned income it doesn't matter where the money comes from

IE you can deposit money from the capital gains.

but if you don't have the earned income no you can't

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement