Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: equityseeker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Roth IRA Date: 1/19/2000 7:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can a minor (youth-type person) open a Roth? Under 18 years old with W-2 income.

John
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25529 of 121095
Subject: Re: Roth IRA Date: 1/19/2000 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Can a minor (youth-type person) open a Roth? Under 18 years old with W-2 income.

Sure - there are no age restrictions, you just need earned income to contribute to a Roth.

--Peter

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25532 of 121095
Subject: Re: Roth IRA Date: 1/19/2000 9:02 PM
<< Can a minor (youth-type person) open a Roth? Under 18 years old with W-2 income. >>

From a tax law perspective, yes. There is no minimum age, as long as you have earned income.

I don't know whether your minority presents a problem from the general law side (the inability of minors to contract, etc.). I'd suggest you look at the application form from your prospective custodian. If your age presents a problem, it should be apparent in the information they give you as part of the application.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement