Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter, who is a student, has no taxable income, and is claimed as a dependent on the tax returns submitted by my wife and myself, opened a ROTH IRA account in a mutual fund in 1998 with her savings.

Later, we came to know that she could not contribute to a ROTH IRA account because she had no taxable income in 1998. Accordingly, the ROTH IRA account was closed before April 15, 1999.

The mutual fund company sent atatement in Form 5498 for 1998 in which Box 4 gives the Fair Market Value of the Account as on 12/31/1998 and Box 9 gives the ROTH IRA contributions. There are no values in Boxes 1, 2, 3 7, 8 and 10.

A few weeks ago, the mutual fund company sent a statement
in Form 1099-R. Box 1 mentions the gross distributions and the code entered in Box 7 is 1J. Box 2b (Taxable amount not determined) is checked.

I would appreciate very much if you could please advise me as to what needs to be done now. Is it necessary to submit Form 8606? I must mention that the there was a gain when the ROTH IRA account was closed.



Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.