No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a 24 year old college graduate who runs a sports memorabilia business on Ebay. Currently, I am planning to open up a joint partnership under a corporate name to attain a larger presence in the collectibles world. As of 4 months ago, I was working contributing to my 401K. After enduring a broken foot, I stopped doing manual labor and decided to concentrate full-time on my "hobby". A few weeks ago, I received a notice from Principal that my 401K contributions needed to be addressed: either distributed to me in cash or rolled over into an IRA. I only have $3,500 in my 401K. After calling Principal, they sent me a heap of forms to fill out to convert my holdings to a Roth IRA. Here is my question: Am I doing the right thing?
I plan to contribute the maximum $2000, as my income falls under the $95,000 for a single filer. The idea of researching stocks and investing with my own insight and opinions is very fulfilling for me. This is why the Foolish Four approach looks great, but Prudential is not a discount broker. What should I do? I am investing for long-term growth, not looking to even touch this nest egg until I am young and gray =)
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.