Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This one is for TMF Taxes. I'm sure the folks who wrote the law have carefully excluded what I propose here, but I thought I'd ask. If it's been asked before and I haven't read the reply, my apologies. There's only so much time for reading...

Contributions to a Roth IRA: I know I'm limited to $2,000/yr, but does it have to be cash? For example, I'm holding on to (in round numbers) $20,000 of CSCO with a basis of $2,000. Could I just transfer the CSCO stock over? After all, there are other instances in the tax code where that would count as a $2,000 transfer, not as a $20,000 transfer. Assuming that little brainstorm was thought about and already legislated against, what about simply transfering $2,000 of CSCO without realizing the gain of $1,800? Heck, I never sold the stuff.

Dreamin' on,

Bernie Unger

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.