No. of Recommendations: 0
Need help.

Want to open a Roth IRA for my wife.
We made less than $50,000 last year hergross was $1744... she had no IRA's before..... only an ESOP that has been left with former employer for last 7 years....we're both over 50 yr. old.

I would like to help fund Roth with a spousal contribution, the way I understand it can be up to $2000 per year.

can I also make a spousal contribution for 2008 before April 15, 2009?

I was hoping to help her to contribute $1744 plus $2000 spousal for year 2008 & then give her another $2000 spousal for year 2009 and then she could contribute $6000 for year 2009......for a total of $11744.

Does that sound like about right and legal?

thanks, take care, andy
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.