UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: R0BI2010 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 26  
Subject: Roth IRA conv. for those who make too much money Date: 3/8/2010 6:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help:

I have a traditional IRA that I have been contributing to for a couple of years, but have never been able to write the contributions off on my taxes because my income is too high (i.e., none of the contributions were tax-deferred.)

I now want to convert the traditional IRA over to a Roth IRA, and I am wondering what the tax implications are. Since I have already paid taxes on the contributions to the traditional IRA, there should be no tax implications for converting that portion over to the Roth IRA, right? What about the gains I've made on the securities held in the traditional IRA that are to be converted over to the Roth IRA? I'm not sure how the conversion works, but I'm not planning on selling anything, so those gains will not be realized, correct? That would seem to mean that there would be no tax implications on those either. However, I would be taxed on those gains in the end if I stuck with the traditional IRA, so I could see having to pay tax on them regardless of whether they are realized (as, in the end with the Roth IRA, I won't have to pay taxes on gains...)

To sum up, it seems to me that for those whose income has been too high to write off their traditional IRA contributions on their taxes, a conversion of their traditional IRA to a Roth IRA should result in no adverse tax consequences other than the possible paying of taxes for gains made before conversion.

Does anyone have any advice?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement