Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: shashmishra One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Roth IRA Conversion question Date: 4/15/2003 7:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi folks,

REF:predicament about not being able to convert from a rollover/traditional IRA to a Roth IRA due to an AGI greater than $100,000.

Currently, I am employed with a 403b fund. In july 2003 I will go to a new employer when I intend to rollover the 403b fund into a rollover IRA and then (hoping to) convert to a Roth IRA. I later found out that because I am married I will have a gross-adjusted income of greater than $100,000 ( my wife's salary included). Apparently, this will exclude me from doing a conversion - even before I join my new employer.

I was browsing on the internet ... : http://www.lifetimesavingsaccount.com/treasdept.htm

... and came across the following point about future tax laws that may become applicable in the next fiscal tax year... :

"You may convert a traditional IRA to an RSA ( Retirement Savings Account ) at any time. The amount converted will be taxable except to the extent that you have basis in your IRA. If you convert prior to January 1, 2004, you will be able to spread the tax on the conversion over a four-year period. For conversions on or after January 1, 2004, the total taxable amount will be included in your gross income for the year of the conversion...While there are no maximum income limitations on making contributions to RSAs, you may not contribute more than your compensation (wages) income to an RSA."

I am wondering if this new RSA might allow me to convert without the income limitation that I am currently experiencing.

Does anybody know about this? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Shashmishra

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement