UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AjaxFool77 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Roth IRA early withdrawal Date: 3/15/2005 12:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have now thoroughly confused myself so I hope a fellow Fool can clarify for me.....

I am thinking of openening a Roth IRA but I also plan on buying a house in 1 1/2 to 2 years. I most likely will need the $3000 I use to open an IRA as down payment money when I do buy but it is possible that I won't. I want to plan for a Foolish retirement and open my IRA now but I am afraid I will incur taxes and penalties if I try to withdraw my money for a new house downpayment before the 5 year time frame is up.

Now if I understand correctly what I just read I can withrdaw my contributions (not earnings, just contributions) from my Roth at any time, even before the 5 year time frame is up, penalty and tax free.

Is this so? What am I missing here? Any advice from more informed Fools would be most welcome.

Thanx.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AcmeFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45107 of 75340
Subject: Re: Roth IRA early withdrawal Date: 3/15/2005 1:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Now if I understand correctly what I just read I can withrdaw my contributions (not earnings, just contributions) from my Roth at any time, even before the 5 year time frame is up, penalty and tax free.

Is this so? What am I missing here? Any advice from more informed Fools would be most welcome.

Contributions to a Roth IRA can be withdrawn tax and penalty free at ANY time.

Acme

Author: Adenovir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45117 of 75340
Subject: Re: Roth IRA early withdrawal Date: 3/15/2005 10:36 PM
Check this at the IRS website, but I also believe that you can withdraw up to $10K from a Roth IRA penalty free for the downpayment on a first home.

Adenovir

Author: NHDad920 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45137 of 75340
Subject: Re: Roth IRA early withdrawal Date: 3/16/2005 11:48 AM
Small in comparison but your Roth IRA account may have low account balance fees you'll get stuck with if you end up withdrawing most of your balance for a down payment. This should have little, if any, impact on your decision but I wanted to throw it out there as a reminder.

Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45178 of 75340
Subject: Re: Roth IRA early withdrawal Date: 3/19/2005 11:04 AM
The 5-year timeframe has to do with money that was converted from a traditional IRA, not contributions made directly to the ROTH. Contributions can be taken out at any time, as another poster stated.

HTH
3MM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement