Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: chrisjurgens Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Roth IRA eligibility for expat? Date: 1/4/2002 2:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Background: I am 26 and working for the UK subsidiary of a US based consultancy. I am currently contributing to the company's UK retirement scheme and share purchase program, but would like to kick off a US IRA as well.

Question 1: Am I able to open up and contribute to a Roth IRA, given that I only have income earned abroad(UK) in 2001? What if I do not or (or cannot) exclude all of that 2001 foreign earned income on IRS Form 2555? Does that give me the AGI I need to be eligible?

Question 2: My income was under the $110K maximum for Roth IRA eligibility in 2001, but may exceed this amount in 2002. What does this mean? Am I better off just going with a Contributory IRA? Or even with index funds not part of a retirement / tax deferred scheme? Does the fact that this is foreign earned income (see above) change the equation (as $76k could be 'excluded')

Question 3: How much would it cost for a financial advisor to sort this out!!?

I saw a previous exchange between Barbara_Frew, Jana, and Amy A on this subject from June 2001 and was wondering if any of those folks were still around, and what they had learned.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement