UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: thewheel360 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77286  
Subject: Roth IRA eligible? Date: 2/15/2007 6:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I originally posted this question in Ask a Foolish Question, Board. I realize now that this is the place to be.

In July 2006 I began working for a U.S. company overseas. I did not have any earned income in the U.S. the first 6 months of 2006. I am paid by an overseas payroll which allows me to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion by meeting the physical presence test requirements. If I am overseas for 330 days during a period of 12 consecutive months, then my earnings are tax-free up to $82,400.

My question is, am I eligible to open a Roth IRA and make maximum contributions for 2006 (before April 15, 2007) and 2007 if I have no tax liability for 2006?

I am not eligible for my company's 401K and my taxable income is well within the maximum income limits for Roth IRA eligibility.

Thanks for the guidance.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Wealth of Power
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.