UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FridayCat One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75839  
Subject: Roth IRA for '00 by April '01? Date: 1/21/2001 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,
I'm starting a Roth IRA through TheFinancialCafe.com. I can put in the full $2k right now. Someone told me that I can open one before April 15 and have it count for the year 2000. Is that the case? How would I technically go about doing this and have my IRA count for 2000 and not 2001, seeing as how we're actually in 2001 now? Interested in the details,
Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tweston81 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27364 of 75839
Subject: Re: Roth IRA for '00 by April '01? Date: 1/21/2001 2:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm starting a Roth IRA through The FinancialCafe.com. I can put in the full $2k right now. Someone told me that I can open one before April 15 and have it count for the year 2000. Is that the case? How would I technically go about doing this and have my IRA count for 2000 and not 2001, seeing as how we're actually in 2001 now?

Yes, you can invest $2,000 up to April 16th (since the 15th is a Sunday) and have it count for your year 2000 contribution. Most online brokers have forms that you can download and print for deposits. In the case of an IRA you simply check the box or tell them in someway which year the contribution is for. Its usually quite simple.

Good luck to all.

TW

Author: tfranklin Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27365 of 75839
Subject: Re: Roth IRA for '00 by April '01? Date: 1/21/2001 2:54 PM

Someone told me that I can open one before April 15 and have it count for the year 2000. Is that the case?

Yes.

How would I technically go about doing this and have my IRA count for 2000 and not 2001, seeing as how we're actually in 2001 now?

You will have to fill out an application form. In most cases, it will ask you to disignate which year you want to apply it too. If you deposit $4000, you will designate $2000 to year 2000, and $2000 to year 2001.

It should be very simple, if it is not, email Financial cafe directly and ask them how to designate the year.

Good Luck

Tony

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27366 of 75839
Subject: Re: Roth IRA for '00 by April '01? Date: 1/21/2001 3:20 PM
I'm starting a Roth IRA through TheFinancialCafe.com. I can put in the full $2k right now. Someone told me that I can open one before April 15 and have it count for the year 2000. Is that the case?

Thank you for the opportunity to climb on my "Learn before You Act" soapbox. IMO, the fact that you didn't know this means you're not yet ready to have an IRA. I'm not saying you shouldn't have one, but rather that you need to learn the basics before you open one.

Please take the time to go through All About IRAs: http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm. It will be time well spent.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement