Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: atp101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19414  
Subject: Roth IRA for Education Date: 9/9/2000 3:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I have a Roth IRA and have met the 5 tax year limit but I am under 59 1/2 years old, is an early withdrawal for my child's college both penalty free and earnings tax exempt? Also are there any limitations on the type of college (public vs private) at which you can use the money?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5034 of 19414
Subject: Re: Roth IRA for Education Date: 9/9/2000 7:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I have a Roth IRA and have met the 5 tax year limit but I am under 59 1/2 years old, is an early withdrawal for my child's college both penalty free and earnings tax exempt?

No. See page 42 of IRS Publication 590. You'll not owe the penalty on withdrawals paid directly to an educational institution, but you will owe income tax on any earnings withdrawn before 59 1/2 for this purpose. This is not a "qualified" distribution.

Also are there any limitations on the type of college (public vs private) at which you can use the money?

There are some restrictions, also mentioned in Pub 590, but both public and private institutions qualify.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement