No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All!

Just a quick question and I'm sure someone here will be able to offer up an answer...

I am fairly new to "real" investing (have followed stocks for a couple of years, but this is the first time I'm playing for keeps... using REAL MONEY!!) ;)

I'm also taking Tom's seminar this month in hopes of acquiring some new knowledge base outside of what I've read in TMF books.

Anyways, all that's neither here nor there. Since I'm relatively young (at heart and in age), I figured there's no better time than the present to start saving for later, and I've opened an IRA account (well, am in the process of opening). My account is through Suretrade, whcih I've heard mixed yet generally good reviews about. There is one statement in their IRA Application that I am confused about: in regards to the quesiton, "How will your IRA be funded?" it offers the check-box, "IRA contribution for the 1999 tax year. Check this box if your IRA will be used to make annual contributions up to the maximum of $2,000 per tax year, including sales charges, if applicable."

Now, I'm spreading my IRA over a couple of stocks, the Foolish 4 and one or two others, and want to come as close to the maximum annual contribution that by stock prices will allow me (I'm sure I'll be off by a few dollars). Does that statement above indicate that I must also deduct any account maintenance fees for the IRA as well as my trading commissions from my contribution? Or do those items get deducted from my ca$h account?? The latter makes sense to me, but if that's the case, what does "including sales charges, if applicable" mean??

One additional question: I've heard reference to some places charing an annual fee for IRAs, or at least a startup fee, I don't believe the Suretrade charges any of those, can anyone confirm that??

Thanx for you help, Fool on!

-W. J. Von Alt II
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement