UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tel1111 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america Date: 11/17/1998 3:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently went to a financial planner and rolled over my 401k into a regular IRA(IDEX mutual funds). At the same time I started a ROTH ira with Investment company of america. Now, I want to roll over my regular IRA into a roth. However, since I have been researching more on the internet, I find that the load on the Investment company of America is 5.75%.. I dont know if I should put the money from the regular IRA into ICA.
The thing they have going for them is being in business for over 60 years and guaranteed returns.. I dont know what I should do..
Does it sound like Im getting ripped here?? There was a load on IDEX mutual funds as well..

Print the post Back To Top
Author: zgriner Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6646 of 75381
Subject: Re: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america Date: 11/17/1998 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Ultimately, your comfort with your investment is most important. A load is only a rip-off if you don't believe you are getting something for your money. Remember, your fund has to gain an extra 6% to make up for the load.

If you want longevity, TRowePrice, for example, has probably been in business for as long, and they sponsor no-load mutual funds. Might I suggest their Growth & Income, Equity Income, or Dividend Growth funds? These would be somewhat similar to your Investment Company of America fund.

Zev

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6651 of 75381
Subject: Re: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america Date: 11/17/1998 9:35 PM
Greetings, tell111, and welcome. You asked:

<<I recently went to a financial planner and rolled over my 401k into a regular IRA(IDEX mutual funds). At the same time I started a ROTH ira with Investment company of america. Now, I want to roll over my regular IRA into a roth. However, since I have been researching more on the internet, I find that the load on the Investment company of America is 5.75%.. I dont know if I should put the money from the regular IRA into ICA.
The thing they have going for them is being in business for over 60 years and guaranteed returns.. I dont know what I should do..
Does it sound like Im getting ripped here?? There was a load on IDEX mutual funds as well.>>

In today's competitive fund world a 5.75% load is unconscionable, unnecessary, and ludicrous. In Fooldom, we believe there's really only one stock fund worthy of your dollars, and that's the low cost, no-load Vanguard 500. Over the long term it will beat the vast majority of stock funds available, and that includes those offered by IDEX and ICA. If you want proof, just go to www.morningstar.com and check out the Vanguard 500 against the funds you're considering.

Regards…Pixy

Author: BillEuclid Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6693 of 75381
Subject: Re: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america Date: 11/21/1998 2:24 AM
tell111:

You are not getting ripped off. You asked a Financial Planner for help and he gave it to you, and the commission is his just pay. You could have chosen a fee-based FA and paid a few thousand dollars for his help, and he would have put you into say Vanguard's no-load index fund. Because you chose a commission-based FA, he gets his few thousand dollars from the 5.75% commission, which is why he won't recommend Vanguard. For instance, if the total amount of your 401k was only $40,000, you only paid $2300 for the advice.

Hopefully it was worth the $2300. If you felt it was, don't complain. If you felt the advice was not worth much, find another FA who is more helpful.

Even better would be to learn to manage your own money so you will not have to pay anyone for advice. I personally would never pay a sales load, because I think I can make decent investment decisions on my own. But many people need to have someone authoritative tell them it is a good idea to invest in an index fund, and of course they have to pay for that hand-holding -- dearly.

If you are fairly sure that the Vanguard Index 500 is a good choice for you, don't go back to that FA.

Bill

Author: DHatch Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6705 of 75381
Subject: Re: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america Date: 11/21/1998 10:48 AM
<<< Re: ROTH IRA -Investment company of america
Author: BillEuclid Date: 11/21/98 2:24 AM

tell111:

You are not getting ripped off. You asked a Financial Planner for help and he gave it to you, ...
>>>

It sure sounds as if you were getting ripped, if not off.

If it looks like a pig, eats like a pig, sounds like a pig, and smells like a pig, it just might really be a pig and one ought not to try to make many silk purses out of its ears.

Yes, you should really learn to manage your own money, and that just may be the reason you are on this board in the first place.

Foolishly,

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement