Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think this a comedy of errors. Filed taxes in February through our accountant. I only realised in March that we ( my wife and I ) exceeded our r-ira contributions.

I contacted the brokerage house (Ameritrade) trying to roll over the excesses to 2005 r-ira or an t-ira for 2004 before April 15. I had to withdraw the excess. Ameritrade calculated and withheld the ferderal income tax on the distributions and a removal of excess fee. In the meantime we opened t-ira (non-deductible) for 2004 and deposited the roth excess into these accounts before April 15.

Now my questions:
- should an amended tax return be filed;
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.