Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Flow72 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121326  
Subject: Roth IRA questions Date: 8/11/2007 9:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just started investing outside of my company 401(k). I have been trying to figure out the whole short vs long capital gains tax rates, which I think I have down more or less. But as I was researching inside my Zecco trading account I saw a link to "Open a (Roth) IRA" with Zecco.

I have a few questions assoicated with having Roth IRA though:

1) I know I am can contribute $4000 for myself and I read somewhere I can do the same for my wife (for a total of $8000). Does my wife have to work to put $4000 in her name (she does not) and can it be inside the same account with my name on it or does the $4000 that I would contribute in her name have to be in a Zecco account under her name?

2) I assume that inside my Zecco account, I can buy and sell stocks in a Roth IRA account. I would assume it works the same as my regular trading account. The questions is, if I sell a stock for a gain (whether short or long term) and keep the money in my Zecco Roth IRA account to reinvest at a later time, are there any tax consequences (i.e. is this considered Capital Gains)?

3) My current plan is to invest $600 a month into my Zecco trading account, buy stocks to hold for 3-5 years, sell that stock and use the proceeds to buy new stocks for new companies. I have no intention of using any of this money until I retire (probably at age 60). I am currently 35. So is this something I can do with a Roth IRA account through Zecco?

Thanks for any help in this matter

Jason J
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement