UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mweinbach Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75802  
Subject: Roth IRA to Traditional Date: 11/14/2001 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a Roth IRA that has seen a 90% reduction in value (damn Internet stocks!). Is there any way to convert to a Traditional IRA and realize a tax benefit?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32519 of 75802
Subject: Re: Roth IRA to Traditional Date: 11/14/2001 11:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Author: mweinbach Date: 11/14/01 10:53 PM Number: 32518
I have a Roth IRA that has seen a 90% reduction in value (damn Internet stocks!). Is there any way to convert to a Traditional IRA and realize a tax benefit?

Nope. There is no way to deduct any losses inside any IRA, ROTH or Traditional.

Russ

Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32547 of 75802
Subject: Re: Roth IRA to Traditional Date: 11/15/2001 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 0

Possibly. 2001 Roth contributions and conversions may be recharactorized to traditional IRAs until Oct. 15. 2002. Recharactactorized contributions will provide a $2000 tax deduction and/or new basis. Rechartorized conversioons refund the tax load of the Roth.

Pre-2001 Roths may not be converted back to traditional IRAs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement