UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: djansen Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75839  
Subject: Roth IRA vs. Trad IRA Date: 1/9/2001 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I haven't seen any comments on IRA Roth conversion as pertains to stocks, etc. that have experienced a significant drop. It would seem that a partial conversion makes sense, assuming you plan to hold the stock anyway (ie. Oil in 1995 vs. 1998 vs. 2000). Even if the stock just came back to the purchase price, in the long run it would result in a much better return due to the tax effect. I am not suggesting market timing, but rather the selective movement of temporarily depressed assets.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PMcMullenCT Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27065 of 75839
Subject: Re: Roth IRA vs. Trad IRA Date: 1/9/2001 10:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
> I haven't seen any comments on IRA Roth conversion
> as pertains to stocks, etc. that have experienced
> a significant drop.

That's one silver lining in this down market. If you were considering converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth, you can now do so with reduced tax impact. You'll pay lower taxes now on the amount moved from the Traditional than you would have had you converted at the market's peak in early 2000. When the market recovers later, it will do so tax free in your new Roth IRA and you'll never pay income tax on those subsequent gains.

Author: gulfsailor8 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27067 of 75839
Subject: Re: Roth IRA vs. Trad IRA Date: 1/10/2001 12:56 AM
Do a like kind exchange with the stocks, no brokerage and get a new low basis. Pay the smaller amount of taxes on the conversion and eventually, If they come back, you may be better off.

Gulfsailor

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement