UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LimShady Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75873  
Subject: Roth IRA, Where to Start? Date: 6/27/2000 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm just about to open a Roth IRA, but I have a few questions. I was going to open one with Vanguard's 500 Index, but something occured to me. If I contribute $1000 to that can I only deposit the remaining $1000 annual contribution limit into a brokerage account? How does this work? What I wanted to do was to open the index fund and also pursue a F4 or some other investing strategy. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22914 of 75873
Subject: Re: Roth IRA, Where to Start? Date: 6/27/2000 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My suggestion for this year would be to put the whole $2000 in the Vanguard fund and wait till next year or the year after before starting on the Foolish Four; or do the Foolish Four outside your retirement account. You will incur 4 commissions buying the Foolish Four, which if you can only put $500 in each stock, is significant. You are allowed more than one IRA. I'd wait until the Vanguard fund is at least up to $10000 before starting on individual stocks.
Also, last year the Foolish Four didn't do that great. High flyers were more in favor than value stocks. The fashion will turn, but doesn't appear to have done so yet.
My 2c. Chris

Author: LimShady Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22915 of 75873
Subject: Re: Roth IRA, Where to Start? Date: 6/27/2000 12:07 PM
If you're allowed more than 1 IRA, I take it the $2000 maximum contribution is per IRA not per year?

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22916 of 75873
Subject: Re: Roth IRA, Where to Start? Date: 6/27/2000 12:11 PM
LimShady,

The $2000 limit is per person per year. Would that it were otherwise, we'd all have multiple IRAs.
-Chester :)

Author: rensimer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22917 of 75873
Subject: Re: Roth IRA, Where to Start? Date: 6/27/2000 12:13 PM
If you're allowed more than 1 IRA, I take it the $2000 maximum contribution is per IRA not per year?

And you'd be wrong!
The $2K annual contribution limit per person is for total contributions, whether they be to one or a dozen accounts.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement