UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heater013 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: roth or trad.? Date: 9/2/1998 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am trying to help my parents evaluate whether or not they should convert their IRA to a Roth. I am 24, and I know that the Roth really benfits someone in my position, but I'm trying to find the point when having the tax break outweighs the benfits of the Roth. If anyone knows a good web address that can do this, or just has any comments for me, I would appreciate the help. Fool On!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5303 of 76237
Subject: Re: roth or trad.? Date: 9/2/1998 5:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Heater013, and welcome. You asked:

I am trying to help my parents evaluate whether or not they should convert their IRA to a Roth. I am 24, and I know that the Roth really benfits someone in my position, but I'm trying to find the point when having the tax break outweighs the benfits of the Roth. If anyone knows a good web address that can do this, or just has any comments for me, I would appreciate the help. Fool On!!!

I haven't seen many cases where a Roth conversion is a better deal for most folks, but who knows? For some ideas on how to approach this issue see my analysis in this folder at http://boards.fool.com/Registered/Message.asp?id=1040013000441002&sort=postdate It will give you some food for thought and items your folks need to consider.

Regards…………Pixy

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5330 of 76237
Subject: Re: roth or trad.? Date: 9/3/1998 11:04 PM
I am trying to help my parents evaluate whether or not they should convert
their IRA to a Roth. I am 24, and I know that the Roth really benfits
someone in my position, but I'm trying to find the point when having the tax
break outweighs the benfits of the Roth. If anyone knows a good web
address that can do this, or just has any comments for me, I would
appreciate the help. Fool On!!!

We don't know the ages or other assets.
If they will not need the money then go to the Roth. The taxes paid on the conversion will reduce the estate tax, no regular IRA income taxes to the beneficiary and the payout on the Roth can cover the beneficiaries life.

If they need the money, a Roth maynot be a good idea.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement