No. of Recommendations: 0

jkrou (Jenn) stated in message 8884 that the "..person named as holding the Roth must have had earned income..."

Is this correct? I had thought that as long as a married couple filing jointly had earned income that the non-working spouse could open and contribute to a Roth, similar to the regular IRA. I am attempting to put my mother's finances into order - she has been taken advantage of by a broker who put her into high load funds, so the answer to this question is vital as I try to protect what little money she has to see her through her retirement years. Her husband is in his 70's, and I don't know how much longer he might have "earned income", but right now she has a minimun amount in a regular IRA, and only a few years before she must start taking distributions from that IRA. I had hoped a ROTH might provide an avenue to allow some of her limited funds to grow tax deferred.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction. Kathy
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.