UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heater013 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: roth question Date: 2/17/1999 1:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When dealing with a Roth IRA, are you able to pass on the money to children or beneficiaries upon second to die? Basically, what are your options?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: UUinMN Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8617 of 75381
Subject: Re: roth question Date: 2/17/1999 2:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Second to die? Who would that be? Recall that the "I" in IRA stands for Individual. An IRA has only one owner. (The rules are tied to the owner's age, after all.)

As I understand it, a Roth IRA can be listed in your will like any other asset. It will be liquidated at your death, and the proceeds will be distributed according to your will, tax free. But this is not a professional opinion...

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8620 of 75381
Subject: Re: roth question Date: 2/17/1999 4:59 PM
Greetings, Heater013, and welcome. You asked:

<<When dealing with a Roth IRA, are you able to pass on the money to children or beneficiaries upon second to die? Basically, what are your options? >>

I assume you mean the deceased spouse left the Roth IRA to the surviving spouse. If so, that spouse may take that Roth IRA over as his/her own and name children or anyone else as beneficiary to that Roth. As far as the ability to name beneficiaries, it's no different than a traditional IRA.

Regards...Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement