Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To those who have helped, thank you.

I will be recharacterizing my Roth for Y1999 and prior. I received a 1099 for my original conversion this year, so I will be paying taxes on the conversion. However, Brown said that I will not get the 1099 for recharacterization until next year, so I will not be able to get those taxes back until I file Y2000 taxes. Does that sound right? I seem to recall someone saying that I should get a 1099 back immediately for this year so that I don't have to pay taxes on a conversion that I didn't get to keep.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.