Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mkraft Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123001  
Subject: Roth recharacterization -- 'Earnings' Date: 10/9/1999 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

My question concerns distinguishing Roth 'contribution' earnings from Roth 'conversion'
earnings for purposes of a '98 Roth recharacterization.

I made a '98 Roth contribution of $2,000 in July, 1998.

In December '98 I converted a trad. IRA to Roth. Those converted funds went into the same
account as the '98 Roth contribution.

I now wish to recharacterize *only* the conversion amount. The broker says I have to tell it what
earnings *not* to recharacterize -- i.e., the earnings on the 'contribution' amount.

How do I do that?

The contribution amount ($2,000) remained as cash until after it was mingled with the
conversion funds and was eventually used in the purchase of stock. Since any stock purchase I
subsequently made exceeded $2,000 any stock transaction which can be interpreted as having
used the 'contribution' funds was part 'contribution' funds and part 'conversion' funds.

I'm at a loss as to how to provide the broker with the separate 'contribution' earnings information
it says it requires.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

How to Deal With Investing Emotions
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.