Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will make over 100,000 USD in 2001. I don't know the exact number yet, as it depends on commissions which haven't been finalized. It will likely be around 110,000 USD.

I have been contributing to a Roth IRA in the past, but it looks like I won't be able to contribute 2000 USD this year due to my salary.

Should I just open a traditional IRA and invest all my 2000 USD there, or should I split my contribution into both my Roth and a new IRA? Can you recommend some easy to read literature on how I calculate how much I can contribute to the Roth?

Also to make things even more difficult, I am living abroad and I just got married to a non-US citizen. How will this effect my IRA contribution? Can I now invest 4000 USD if we file joint taxes?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.