Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Simple question. I have the MF tax guide, but don't understand this small point.

I converted my and wife's IRA to Roth last year.
We have deductible contributions and non deductable contributions from previous years, as well as sizeable gains in those accounts.

Question is What do I include as the reportable amount for the IRS? ie.What do I owe taxes on?

Just the tax deductable contributions? or
Tax deductable contributions and gains?

I assume it is reported on a 8606.

Just can't seem to read between the lines on this one.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.