No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read in several places that one can convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA only if their joint AGI is less than $100,000 in the year of conversion. My joint AGI will be lower than $100,000 this year because of a pretax contribution to a 401k. Knowing how the IRS works, I'm not sure that they allow you to reduce GI by retirement contributions in determining AGI for the purpose of meeting the $100,000 test. Does anyone know for sure?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, JJmoneyless, and welcome. You wrote:

I have read in several places that one can convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA only if their joint AGI is less than $100,000 in the year of conversion. My joint AGI will be lower than $100,000 this year because of a pretax contribution to a 401k. Knowing how the IRS works, I'm not sure that they allow you to reduce GI by retirement contributions in determining AGI for the purpose of meeting the $100,000 test. Does anyone know for sure?

Fear not. The tax deferred contributions you make to a retirement plan like a 401k are not included in your AGI to determine the $100K limit for conversions of traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs. Those contributions are excluded from your gross income; therefore, they aren't included in any computation for AGI and won't be added back in for the Roth AGI limit test, either.

Regards....Pixy
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement