UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zzyxxyzz Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75777  
Subject: Roth vs Common Stocks as Retirement Vehicle Date: 2/19/2004 12:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Newbie hypothetical:
ignoring all of the various restrictions on a Roth, and assuming a current age of 25...if I were to invest dollar-for-dollar, year-over-year in identical portfolios of securities via both a Roth IRA and a common discount brokerage account, and never withdraw any money from either until retirement at age 60, say, (whereby all Roth disbursements are fully qualified) the only (albeit significant) difference between those disbursements would be that my non-Roth account withdrawls would be counted, and therefore taxed, as income?

Please consider this question in light of the following information: I am young (25), not risk adverse, and a Fool under development, IMHO (no day trading here!). I plan to be fully involved in analyzing and selecting the securities of my future portfolio, adjusting the perceived risk underlying my assests downward as retirement approaches. I currently have no liabilities, but no assets. ALL investing I do will be for the purpose of retirement at, say, 60, not to supplement current income. My goal is to pile a substantial nestegg for retirement, so that I may maintain or improve my just-before-retirement standard of living...frankly, I wish for a lavish retirement. And I don't mind the notion of leaving money to my heirs. All other things constant, to maximize my spending potential upon retirement, it would be prudent to fully contribute to a Roth first, then additionally via a standard brokerage account, right? As I understand it, earnings on the non-Roth would not be taxed so long as I continue to use them for investing...restated, taxes on earnings are deferred until they are used for consumption (realized?)...Am I totally off base here?

Finally, any security available for purchase through a standard discount brokerage account would be an option through a Roth account at the same brokerage as well, right?

Thanx a mil!
Zzyxxyzz. Y? O, xxyzz.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement