Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
To establish a Roth IRA there are just two requirements. First, you or your spouse must have qualifying income at least equal to the amount contributed. And second, your modified adjusted gross income can't exceed certain limits.

What is the definition of qualifying income? Does it include interest and dividends? If one spouse has qualifying income at least equal to the amount contributed and the other spouse doesn't (stay at home) can they both contribute to their individual Roth IRA's?

Thanks for the great help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.