Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just learned that the $2000 Roth contribution I made for 1999 is invalid because of my 1999 AGI. This $2000 is now worth $3200 and is part of an account at a mutual fund that also holds my 1998 contribution. If I remove this $3200 from the account, I know I must report the $1200 earnings as regular income. But, is there any penalty? I have read a significant amount of IRS literature on the Roth, but cannot find a specific answer to this. I called the IRS, but they do not answer Roth questions on the phone. You must give the question to their representative and wait for a Roth specialist to call you back. I have been waiting.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.