Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121169  
Subject: Re: A Foolish Endeavor ... Date: 2/21/2000 4:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Roy,

Thank you for all the information. I have printed your post and am giving it to my attorney to investigate.

However, I need some clarification on the QDRO: You said, "Speak to your attorney about a Qualified Domestic Relations Order. If done correctly, the appropriate amount of the 401k can be transferred to your IRA type account. No taxes or penalties to you until you remove the funds."

Then, in response to "If I take it as a lump sum property settlement, will it be taxed?", you said, "And...it'll be taxed to HIM .. So his attorney isn't going to love that." and "Unless the funds are transferred under a QDRO, he'll get hit with the taxes." and "Then speak to your attorney about a QDRO. You'll be glad that you did."

Following this line of reasoning, wouldn't I WANT it to be taxed to him? Therefore, would I still want to have the funds transferred under a QDRO"? If I have to pay the taxes under a QDRO, what are the advantages of transferring the funds under one?

Once again, many thanks for your help.

regards, redhed

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement