Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pirategraham Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: another inherited IRA question Date: 6/27/2002 4:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Roy, Thanks for the input.

<What's illegal? Based upon what code section? I don't know what's illegal about it.>

He said that in order to do a transfer, they would need the signature of the account holder. They can not legally transfer the account without it.

<Perhaps American Enterprise just doesn't want to lose control of the funds, and they're lying to you? It wouldn't be the first time.>

I am sure they want me to keep the money there. They may be lying or maybe the guy is poorly trained.

<Or perhaps the original beneficiary statement with American Enterprise was poorly done or not done at all...and this could make a difference.>

According to "A Guide to your American Enterprise Life IRA" booklet:

Under the heading "Transfers" it says "You may transfer you IRA from one IRA custodian, trustee, or issure at any time and as often as you wish with no tax reporting to the IRS or adverse tax consequences as long as you do not actually take possession of the funds." It also says "You will have to check with both the old and new institutions for specific IRA transfer procedures."

Under the heading "Prohibited Transactions", it says, "If you or your beneficiary engage in a prohibited transaction with yout IRA, your IRA will lose some or all of its favorable tax status....Prohibited transactions include:....assigning, pledging or transferring your IRA..."

It does not say why or by whom these transactions are prohibited. The guy on the phone definitely used the word "illegal", but is there anything here that prevents me from doing what I want to do? Thanks again for your help.

Alan

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement