Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: AEP Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Joint Account Treatment Date: 2/16/1999 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Roy,

Thanks for your reply to my questions. As in most technical areas - answers seem to breed additional questions.

When you said that the States control how "Property" is handle in these circumstance, you are including bank accts and stock as Property? I never really give this much thought, but it seems reasonable, these items are owned.

I had already assumed that I'd have to split the earnings reported on the joint accts by the before and after the date of death. I created a spreadsheet using Bank statements. I was somewhat unsure which taxid to if the type of Joint Tenant acct made any difference, you have indicated that this isn't an issue? (The IRS Pub 559 only directs that the surviving owner should be apportioned the after death amount of earnings from the acct - without specifing any type of joint acct.)

I assume that I could total up all the post death interest that was reported to my mother's SSN from various banks accts F-1099 that I have recieved which all note the same recieving TIN number, and then redistribute single amount of (after death) $ to my SSN via (1) F1099-int made out by me? Apparently, I'd also have to show this redistribution of post death earnings on Schedule B noting the TIN/Taxid having this money reported to it. The same routine for Dividends. Do I show a simple total and subtraction with a ref to the redistribution TIN on the schedule-B?

Would something like this also need to be done for the 1099-R annunity distribution $ that showed the 11 months of annunity monthly distributions all to my mother's SSN? Another new F1099-R generated by me to my mother's Estate EIN and some form of notation on her "Final" Income tax return simular to the routine above for the schedule-B? Could you point at where this notation should be entered on my mother's "Final" return - if you agree that my assumption above is appropriate?

Thanks again,
Al in Connecticut
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement