Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23713  
Subject: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/20/2013 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
So, I’m ramping up mileage in preparation for the R&R Half on Labor Day, and the calendar I’m using says that this was a good week to target a race, probably a 5K. No close race was appealing, so I decided to go with the 4K that I found that was a little over an hour drive away. Since pretty much every one of my training runs anymore is longer than this distance, my stated goal was to go out entirely too fast and see if I could hold it.

Bit of a disorganized registration table, but they got us signed up (all 60 or so of us) and eventually herded out to the start. The first 3/4 mile was straight uphill, and then we went straight back down … and then another loop of that, and then a flat out and back along the Hudson River for the rest. My goal had two parts, and the first was easy – I went out entirely too fast. A couple of times on that first hill I thought “oh, boy – this is going to suck at the end.” And the second part wasn’t so bad – overall, I held out. My pace in the last half mile degraded more than I would have liked, but my overall pace for this one was significantly faster than pretty much anything I’ve done yet – so … yay!

Notes:

1. First race I’ve run that wasn’t chip timed. In fact, we didn’t even get bibs. And when they handed me a number at the end of the finisher’s chute, I didn’t know what to do with it. I HATE feeling like an idiot, but the people helped and my time got logged.

2. The swag bag was just a t-shirt, coupon, and three raffle tickets. Pretty bare bones. I usually don’t stick around after races for raffles, but the table was full of stuff and since the field was pretty small I thought the odds warranted enjoying my post-race doughnut a little more slowly. They fired it up, and wouldn’t you know the first number called was one of mine. So my swag bag was a t-shirt, coupon, two losing raffle tickets, and a brand new Yahtzee! board game. Plus, you know, self-esteem and a PR and stuff. Which reminds me:

3. Weird distance = automatic PR! Yay!

4. I didn’t write up a race report for the trail 10K I did in June. One word report: Brutal.

5. This is 5 months in a row running a race, with races scheduled for the next 3. Exactly zero people are looking over their shoulder.

6. Next up: Florida (New York) Family Fun Fest 10K

This is fun!

Matthew
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23513 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/22/2013 10:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
Matthew, are you on dailymile? Because, you know, you should be. :-) dailymile.com

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23514 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/23/2013 6:35 AM
.... and the calendar I’m using says that this was a good week to target a race, probably a 5K. No close race was appealing, so I decided to go with the 4K that I found that was a little over an hour drive away. Since pretty much every one of my training runs anymore is longer than this distance, my stated goal was to go out entirely too fast and see if I could hold it......

You're right.....it is fun.

Out of interest, are you training with any sort of "technology"....Garmin etc? The reason I ask is that, unless ther's a long track record of athleticism, most folk don't have much of a well developed sense of pace (those who do tend to be household names) You're thinking wasn't faulty in that running a shorter distance ought to give you a faster "best effort"......but with this small of a distance change it'd be so subtle a change in pace as to be in the order of seconds and that's not easy to intuit. Finding it out by trial and error gets to be not much fun at all.

I've found that, as I've gotten older, I want the biggest return on investment for most everything I do (seeing as the passage of Time is faster than me these days)....including, but not limited to my training. "Technology" isn't just for the elites. Quite the reverse. In any new endevour, it seems to me that ROI is greatest for novices.....your relative improvement is so much quicker for what you do than any Olympian. Along with giving you feedback, helping with developing a sense of pace etc. etc, it's everso much fun to observe physiology in action and see some degree of objective measurement almost day by day rather than waiting for a race as your self test.

Congrats!

Vivienne

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23515 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/23/2013 8:58 AM
Matthew, are you on dailymile? Because, you know, you should be. :-) dailymile.com

This answers two questions at once - I looked at dailymile, and my question is what it does for me that the Garmin Connect website (or even my personal spreadsheet - I do finance, my Excel running log is appropriately dorky) doesn't? Is it mostly about the social network aspect of it?

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23516 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/23/2013 9:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
there are a bunch of us running fools over on daily mile. If you join and tell us your screen name, we will friend you.

http://www.dailymile.com/groups/845-running-fools

the social aspect is key for me when I lose focus or motivation. Plus you can track your runs and compete for miles/pace etc.

Discurro created an exceptionally dorky (and valuable) running log Excel spreadsheet that I have used for 3 or 4 years now (!). I would love to see your dorky one to compare.

pcwa (Adam on Daily mile)

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23517 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/23/2013 12:57 PM
(or even my personal spreadsheet - I do finance, my Excel running log is appropriately dorky) /i>

not dorky enough, my friend. not dorky enough.

discurro
*** uber dorky excel workbook creator ***

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23522 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 7/23/2013 11:51 PM
Recommendations: 5
5. This is 5 months in a row running a race, with races scheduled for the next 3. Exactly zero people are looking over their shoulder.

Congrats on starting your streak. I can see you over my shoulder, I have a nice cushion right now, I am at 136 right now, but I will have to watch for you. What's the saying? A streak of 200 months begins with five months. Something like that.

Author: HerrHausfrau Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23535 of 23713
Subject: Re: RR: CHK 4K Date: 8/5/2013 12:56 AM
I'm at 20. :-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement