Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23750  
Subject: RR Long Beach half Date: 10/8/2012 1:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
My goal medal goal was to PR and I did by 3 minutes and 26 seconds!! 1:36:04. Really a great race, all things considered, which is especially surprising given that mentally I really didn't feel "on" yesterday.

some stats:
5k: 22:19 (pace 7:11)
10k: 45:12 (pace 7:17)
10 M: 1:13:45 (really amazing!, pace 7:23)
finish: 1:36:04 (pace 7:20)

I started a bit fast, first mile was 726 due to the crowd (I was way up front so I had a good start, but had to jostle for position a bit). Miles 2 to 3 miles were 7-705 so we slowed a bit on purpose through 6. My training partner has been sick and I dropped him in mile 6. I ran with "craig" for about a mile, but then ran alone for most of the rest of the race, often in no man's land (by myself). I was digging deeper and deeper and still only managing to pull out 7:25 pace for like 5-6 miles; I was worried I had started too fast. At 9.5 we turn around to head for home so I picked it up a bit; 10th mile split was 721. at 10 I definitely turned in on (though no change in pace, I kept 7:20-725 from mile 6-12). Mile 13 was 6:49 however. I really turned it on at 12. I was passing people quite often, and not really getting passed. I was slowly reeling in people. At one point, I caught a guy and there was a woman in blue about 50 yards ahead and I said "Come on, lets get blue" but he didn't bite. I did catch her, and there was someone in pink 50 yards ahead. Some guy came up on me at about 12.5 and I held on to him for about 1/4 mile but he kept going. I caught pink with about 200 yards to go. I told myself that if I didn't catch her before I saw the finish, I'd let her beat me. I passed her and held her off. My Garmin had me at 13.25 and the last 1/4 mile was 5:52 pace!

I felt really good about my training, and I basically knew that unless I totally imploded I would PR, so it was really a question of by how much I would PR. That is a nice place to be on race day. I think the reason I was not mentally there is that I have been super busy at work, plus I lost some training due to my toe injury. But I left everything out there, and it was a great race.

Next A-race is Carlsbad half in late January. I plan to break 1:35 which seems very doable. I don't think I can cut 6:04 off my time in 3 months so I am not going to attempt my sub 1:30 yet, but we'll see how the next few weeks of training go. I have 3 or 4 fun trail races over the next 2 months as well, but those are just for fun.

pcwa
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement