Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WhiteHatBobby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23674  
Subject: RR: Palmetto Half Marathon IV Date: 4/14/2013 12:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Palmetto Half Marathon IV:
Run all four editions
Previous Best: 2:20:47 (2011)
2012 time: 2:29:46
Saturday's time: 2:15:55

A few quirks. Packet pickup change and bad breakfast had me trying to hold for the portapotty -- was warned afterwards after crossing the finish line the end result, with a suspension possible if it happened again..

7:08 AM - Sirens sound to start the race.
7:09 AM - Protein shake partially consumed (in the car, which is parked just past the first turn in the parking lot of the mall that serves as the start).

Feeling good for a pace.

Mile 1: Despite the quick stop for some protein it was a good first mile, longer than normal because of the extra stop. Flat in the mall but the climb over the US 1 overpass starts here. 10k pace? What? 9:39.44

Mile 2: The climb over the US 1 overpass and the run to US 1 takes this mile. 10:47.43

Mile 3: This one goes across US 1 (Two Notch) to Valhalla Drive and starts a rolling series of hills. Pace feeling well, catch a group of runners and we plan to "pack up" and run in a pack. 9:56.39

Mile 4: This one rolls still on Valhalla, and I run to avoid speed humps. 9:53.58

Mile 5: Halling, North Donar, and Sparkleberry Lane are featured in this triple with more hills as we turn towards Mallet Hill Road. 10:15.62

Miles 6 and 7: Miss the point (at the clock not turned on) Wood Duck, Pebble Creek, and Beaver Dam. Still at pace. 19:54.54

Mile 8: Feeling the lack of gels and extra protein this morning in the legs. Back of the leg near the foot hurts a little. Back to Mallet Hill, and lose one of the runners who blows past me. The others I've passed. 10:48.62

Mile 9: I can now feel the soreness as we stay on Mallet Hill. 10:35.31

Mile 10: The "reverse" of Mile 5, no fruit at the water stop this time. Sore body starting. Rolling hills resume. 10:58.66

Mile 11: Again, the reverse of Mile 4. 10:41.59

Miles 12 and 13 The reverse of Mile 3 and we return to US 1, then on the on ramp back to Clemson Road. At this point I lose sight of the half record (2:14:42 in November) and am sore crossing the 13-mile point, walking knowing I've lost: 21:08.38

Final tenth: Back to a little. 1:16

Overall time: 2:15:55.

Next up: Cones for a Cure 5km, next Saturday. The 5km season truly starts now.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement