Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I am a newbie to this board. I tried to browse through to find an answer to this question, but I found nothing on this issue. I am a Canadian citizen, but a US resident. My parents are both Canadian citizens and live in Canada. They have an RRIF (Registered Retirement Income Fund). They had a broker at BMO looking after it and doing a terrible job. I am trying to encourage them to transfer it to CIBC Investors Edge and to manage it themselves with my help. My question is can they invest in US stocks inside their RRIF? Will they have to pay US taxes, if they do this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.