Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1113  
Subject: Rules Of Engagement Date: 4/28/2004 9:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is a public board. I acknowledge that I cannot make anyone do anything. However in an attempt to guide the tone and level of civility of this board I offer the following:

In post number 2 of Fools For Christ, Buffeted, who last posted a message on 8/30/2000, said:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12849837

This is a board dedicated to people who want to talk about Christianity and Investing...and just about anything else spiritual. There are other boards of this nature, but I hope that this one will serve to glorify Christ and edify all of us.

We have but one ground rule on this board...no flaming. We will treat each other with respect, regardless of whether or not we agree with them. If you see something posted that is offensive, I ask that you directly address the poster. If you come to agreement, fine...you have gained a brother or sister. If you do not come to agreement, I ask that you simply P-Box each other, without disrupting the flow of the board.

I do not care that you all agree, but I do care that you all love each other...recognizing disagreement, but keeping civility and decorum in mind.

An alternative to P-boxing each other is to send private emails to each other. By doing so, you will not disrupt the flow of this board.

I have borrowed some rules of engagement from another board and modified them somewhat. Here they are:

Rule 1: If you wish to be the model poster you will attempt to treat each and every poster as a flesh and blood living being.

Rule Two: Don't be disruptive. If you can identify yourself as a specific type of flame warrior from the website

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

then please edit your post before posting.

Rule Three: Offensive Language. Do not slur. Consider racial slurs, sexual slurs, religious slurs, and disability slurs to be out of bounds, so always err on the side of civility. For the record, the word “Retard” is a slur. I encourage the readers to always FA posts with slurs in them.

Rule Four: If you want to be a model poster don't quiz or lecture or “tactically” debate by seeking advantage in language or setting traps. Try to achieve a communion of minds.

If all else fails, please remember The Golden Rule:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Let Love be your guide when posting. Remember, Love does not keep a record of wrongs.

Furthermore, from Ephesians 5

10 Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, rebuke and expose them. 12 It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret.

I highlighted the last verse there for a reason. I think all of us are capable of rebuking and exposing. I believe we tend to go overboard at times. Let us all practice silence when it comes to talking about the sins (whether real or alleged) of others in this forum.

Suggestion Submitted:

A suggestion was made that, say, if I post something contrary to the Rules of Engagement, then I must FA my own post. It is easy to post something ugly, in the heat of the moment, and then regret it later. Apologies and forgiveness should not be in short supply here, but the offending post is still on the board, as a reminder of the offense.

Let's say I come into your home, urinate on your carpet (for whatever reason), apologize, and then leave.

Well, the pee is still there---and the rest of you posters on this board have to deal with it. Newcomers will no doubt read previous posts, and they will be exposed to it. Even though you have forgiven me, the smell will get worse, before it gets better. I hope the Fools in Charge will remove our own posts on this board, if we ask. That way, if I call someone a gorilla butt, I can humbly ask for forgiveness, and clean up the mess I made.

Final Decision on Suggestion:

However, if someone is forgiven, he or she is forgiven --

"As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12.

Wiped clean means exactly that, and if a "smell" is detected by anyone it would be detected from a nonbeliever and no one else. If something's forgiven, there's no smell that will get "worse". God wipes clean; we should do likewise when an offense is admitted and forgiveness asked.

A nonbeliever might say (either to him or herself or to the board) -- "Hey, what about this?" -- and point to a post that remains on the board and that will give anyone the opportunity to say "Yes, that happened. That believer realized they were out of line, asked for forgiveness -- and it's gone". That, I believe, gives a more Biblical and realistic representation to others.

It's difficult to admit that we've done something wrong. When we do, however, forgiveness is needed -- and what a witness for those posts to remain and for "the world" to see that yes, Christians are human but we're something else, also -- forgiven when asked. Christian forgiveness leaves no stench.

Charles

Contributing Editors:

Buffeted
BermudaKenn
HisDelight

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement