Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 6SpeedFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11712  
Subject: Rumor mill Date: 2/15/2007 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Does the gasoline engine part of a Prius (and/or other hybrids) have the same catalyst/EGR/pollution equipment as a non-hybrid? I heard some yammering yesterday claiming that because the Prius engine is so small & wimpy, the EPA classifies it as a generator and not as a car engine.

This link from Edmunds suggests that the Prius has all the same pollution equipment found on anything else:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/43877/page004.html

It the claim I heard yesterday a load of crap, or is it an EPA oddity akin to light-duty trucks not counting against a manufacturers CAFE score?

For the record - I like that hybrids are available and seem to work pretty well, and that there are fuels and technologies on the horizon that can start to wean us from the Saudi teat. However, I loathe sanctimonious hybrid owners who wag their fingers in my face for driving a 'regular' car and simpletons who claim magic ethanol will fix everything with no downside.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8044 of 11712
Subject: Re: Rumor mill Date: 2/15/2007 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've looked under and around MrsDuck's (first generation) Prius and the cat is indeed underneath, but fairly well hidden behind a heatshield that's molded to be as smooth as the rest of the underside of the floor pan.

Don't know what the second generation Prius' looks like or has.

Duck

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8045 of 11712
Subject: Re: Rumor mill Date: 2/15/2007 2:03 PM
6SpeedFool added to your Favorite Fools list

Milligram46
Actually may consider a Prius in the future (surprise) because I can get one for $500 above invoice...

Author: UncleLee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8046 of 11712
Subject: Re: Rumor mill Date: 2/15/2007 2:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, you just wag your finger back at them and tell them all the money they're saving in fuel costs will go right back in the car when they replace the frigging batteries. :-D

UncleLee

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8047 of 11712
Subject: Re: Rumor mill Date: 2/15/2007 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Well, you just wag your finger back at them and tell them all the money they're saving in fuel costs will go right back in the car when they replace the frigging batteries. :-D

UncleLee

But didn't you hear about my uncle's brother's cousin's nephew's former college roommates Prius that has 750,000 miles on it and STILL has all of the original batteries? I read it on the internets so it has to be true...

Author: mamawoot Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8063 of 11712
Subject: Re: Rumor mill Date: 2/19/2007 12:33 AM
I've looked under and around MrsDuck's (first generation) Prius and the cat is indeed underneath, but fairly well hidden behind a heatshield that's molded to be as smooth as the rest of the underside of the floor pan.

Duck, make sure you shoo that cat out from under Mrs. Duck's car before she starts it up. It is really messy (& sad) when kitty gets caught in the engine upon ignition. ; )

Darn cats

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement