UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757894  
Subject: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/13/2014 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
http://news.yahoo.com/rutgers-makes-professor-teach-class-cl...

Administrators on the main campus of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J. have suspended a renowned anthropology professor because he told students that he knows nothing about the subject matter in a course school officials assigned him to teach.

The professor, Robert Trivers, had objected to teaching a course called “Human Aggression” this fall, reports The Star-Ledger. However, his anthropology department superiors told him he had to teach the class anyway.

In the first lecture, Trivers informed the 30 or so Rutgers undergrads who had signed up for the class that his plan was to learn the course materials gamely along with them. He observed that he thought it was strange that he was teaching the course in the first place since he is no expert on the material. He said he also planned to bring in a guest lecturer.

Administrators at the taxpayer-funded university then suspended Trivers for the crime of imparting this information to students. Rutgers officials also said Trivers was essentially refusing to teach the course, even though he was teaching the course.

A professor who had taught the course in previous semesters took over teaching the class.

err... why couldn't the replacement prof been assigned in the first place?

Is it fraud in having an unqualified instructor for a course?

Many universities utilize adjunct professors to teach courses. Adjunct professors are like like other low income workers that cobble several part time gigs to make a living. They just have a lot of education*.

*http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/20/22326956-class-di...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jerryab2 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719344 of 757894
Subject: Re: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/13/2014 1:41 PM
Recommendations: 0
school officials assigned him to teach...

...had objected to teaching a course called “Human Aggression” this fall, reports The Star-Ledger. However, his anthropology department superiors told him he had to teach the class anyway.

The relevant part of the article.

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719501 of 757894
Subject: Re: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/14/2014 4:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
I find it interesting that liberals, who claim to champion the interest of the lower and middle classes, see no problem with ever-increasing student loan debt. I think that the sooner the university model is dismantled, the better, for everyone. By that I mean students should be able to demonstrate mastery and test out of lower level course material, and thus be able to work at a higher level if they choose. Students should also be given the option of taking courses from an online video library with proctored exams, and full credit, but at reduced cost. In this way, universities could serve more students with fewer faculty, and the faculty would spend more time teaching higher level courses. Students would have lower debt upon graduation, but university administrators would fall upon tough times. This is probably the reason it will take an outside influence and greater pain in order to force much-needed change.

The liberals will defend the status quo of universities, while complaining about how evil corporations are. Maybe corporations should stop endowing faculty positions.

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719503 of 757894
Subject: Re: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/14/2014 4:24 PM
I find it interesting that liberals, who claim to champion the interest of the lower and middle classes, see no problem with ever-increasing student loan debt.
=====================================================================

Stop watching Fox and you might actually learn that liberals DO have a problem with this, and have been working on this, much to the non-cooperation of the GOP.

Charlie

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719505 of 757894
Subject: Re: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/14/2014 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
I find it interesting that liberals, who claim to champion the interest of the lower and middle classes, see no problem with ever-increasing student loan debt.

Stop watching Fox and you might actually learn that liberals DO have a problem with this, and have been working on this, much to the non-cooperation of the GOP.

Charlie

WHile I agree the first poster is indeed wrong about libs not making an issue of student loan debt

As is usual with a lib, they do scream of their lack of integrity with the Fox line, as Fox has made an issue of many of the liberals addressing this issue

The continued lack of integrity or perhaps merely lack of any clue at all, in not seeming to realize the GOP thinks that the Dems ideas really suck, so cooperating would be really dumb.

This is why the left just appears so stupid on issue after issue, they are not capable of comprehending that others have ideas on how to address problems. They do not cooperate with the other folks ideas either. Get a clue dummies.

There are many folks working on the problem. The left, IMO, has really bad ideas on the issue, and anyone not cooperating with them, is furthering the cause of education.

The same was proven true regarding ACA. Anyone trying to stop that piece of manure was serving the nation's health interests.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719516 of 757894
Subject: Re: Rutgars Cheating Students Date: 2/14/2014 8:39 PM

Sorry, but I don't need to watch Fox to realize that actual conservatives (which there are some, but not many, in the GOP) want to reduce the actual cost of college education while simultaneously defusing the notion that one needs a college degree for practically every job - while the Dems don't care about the cost but only want to make sure that the students who are the primary alleged-beneficiaries don't actually have to pay it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement