UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: RWOL and ethics Date: 3/1/2004 5:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
In a recent post, SP wondered

What are the ethics of taking advantage of "free" days and making low ball contributions in the above kind of situation?

In my opinion, retirement is a luxury and so is saving for retirement.

Is taking advantage of such offers entirely honest?

I thought I would start a seperate thread to discuss this subject.

I hope that everyone will continue to post RWOL ideas like the free day at the museum. What may seem taking advantage to you may not be for other posters.

For the majority, retirement is no luxury. They retire because the day arrives when they will simply no longer able to work any longer, don't have much in the way of savings. Subsisting on SS payments, they have to stretch every dime. If they take advantage of "free" days and low ball contributions, is it ethical?

OK let's take another situation. Let's say that one has saved up enough money to fund an early retirement and thus they had reached financial independence. However if they continue to work then the resulting income taxes could be used to pay down the national debt and FICA contributions could pay for the previous generations SS pension payments. Is it ethical for them to quit?

I think there are situations where ethics are clearly in question--like taking a muffin home from an all-you-can-eat buffet. However in the case of the free day at the museum, one would have to examine ones own situation.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement