UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/13/2003 7:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I keep a number of books on hand that help me RWOL. If I find myself in a rut, sometimes I re-read them to get fresh ideas.

These books are:

- Get a life, you don't need a million to retire well by Ralph Warner
- The best of living cheap news, by Larry Roth
- The Penny-Pinching Hedonist, by Shel Horowitz
- Retirement on a shoestring, by John Howells
- Your money or your life, by Joe Dominguez

BTW one of my favorite book on this subject is "Cashing in on the American Dream: Retire at 35", by Paul Terhorst. Written in the late '80s, he claimed that a couple could retire well on a portfolio of $400k and even be able to pull off a "barebones", semi-retirement on only $100k. Although the passage of time has made many of his ideas outdated, the sprirt of his ideas are still fresh.

But I don't own a copy of the book. It's now out-of-print. So the remaining copies started being sold for big bucks--too rich for my blood.

OK what books do you recommend?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110 of 1490
Subject: Re: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/13/2003 9:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But I don't own a copy of the book. It's now out-of-print. So the remaining copies started being sold for big bucks--too rich for my blood.

"Cashing in on the American Dream: Retire at 35" is available in paperback at half.com for $15.00(!!) -- The book must be terrific. Somebody ought to reprint it.

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=2565909&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 1490
Subject: Re: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/14/2003 9:10 AM
Getting A Life by Blix and Heitmiller

Retire Worry Free by Kiplingers

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115 of 1490
Subject: Re: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/14/2003 9:18 AM
Is there any way we can start a FAQ or general information post for this board? These are great reading recommendations, and I'd like to see them in an easily accessible place.

Just a suggestion...

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116 of 1490
Subject: Re: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/14/2003 9:57 AM
Is there any way we can start a FAQ or general information post for this board? These are great reading recommendations, and I'd like to see them in an easily accessible place.

Just a suggestion...

Great suggestion! I'll follow up with TMF.

Author: bhowardinaz Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 1490
Subject: Re: RWOL Bookshelf Date: 10/16/2003 10:40 PM
My shelf has Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning"...it's not exactly R.E. but it did get me thinking about what I want to do with my time

RE in AZ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement