Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: absmith Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11711  
Subject: S2000 Date: 10/31/2000 5:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Anyone have an S2000 and wish to make comments yea or nay? I'm thinking of getting one when my Prelude lease is up.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Raybear Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 998 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/1/2000 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just get ready for sticker shock. The S2000 has one hell of an addendum tag, running into the thousands.

Author: absmith Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1005 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/2/2000 6:30 AM
Raybear

I am sadly aware. There are five Honda dealers in a 25 mile radius of where I live. I have spoken to them all rather frankly, and they freely admit that they are getting about $5 large over the sticker price of $32K.

I've owned a bunch of Hondas consecutively and I can say that demand for this company's cars means there is no such thing as buying one "at invoice" or any other substantial discount.

Alas, you get what you pay for (for the most part).

ab

Author: Raybear Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1022 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/3/2000 4:47 PM
I've found the S2000 for anywhere from $1000 over MSRP to $45,000!!!!!(that person bought an M-Roadster instead). This car and the Odyssey both command premiums, the others are usually discounted.

Author: snow52 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1042 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/8/2000 2:55 PM
...I'm thinking of getting one when my Prelude lease is up.

How have you liked your Prelude? I'm thinking of getting a '97 or later and would like some advice from those who have spent some time in one.

Author: absmith Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1043 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/8/2000 3:26 PM
snow52

I've really liked it quite a bit and I've spent a lot of seat time in my '97 (not an SH).

Highs Points:

- Honda reliability. Not a single problem of any kind. (there was a recall on the '97's to replace lower ball joints that "may prematurely fail," however, I drive the s*** out of mine and had no problems).

- VTEC. Honda's acronym for variable valve timing. Above 5500 rpm the valves open longer and the fun begins. It's almost as if a turbo were kicking in. Loads of fun. I live near mountains with some truly amazing driving roads and when you keep the revs up through the twisties, the power is outstanding. I've been able to reasonably keep up with Japanese crotch-rockets through the turns, really!

- Handling. Pretty sharp, even with the standard Bridgestones RE82 Potenzas. For a front drive car, the balance is great. It will switch to oversteer when you really start cooking. See my previous post about tires as I've needed new ones after 30K (did I mention I drive the s*** out of this car).

-Braking. Not the best but pretty good. Actually strongest from speed. I've never thought I was going to run out of stopping power but it isn't no Porsche.

-Sound System. I love it. It's a feedback type where it limits the volume based on distortion, but what you wind up with is really loud and really clear. I'd keep this car forever for the stereo alone. I added the optional cassette player and it's good too.

-Shifter. Damn nice. I'm assuming you're going for the 5 speed, otherwise we really have nothing to discuss. : )

-Mileage. low 30's on the Interstate.

Lows:

-Mileage. Low 20's if you stay in the VTEC zone.

-Torque. Around town, low-end is pretty poor. You've got to cook it up pretty hot for a fast launch. The short gearing makes up for some of this though.

That's my impression. Hope it helps. Wanna' by mine?

Kidding

ab

Author: ChuckRock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1101 of 11711
Subject: Re: S2000 Date: 11/30/2000 8:42 AM
Recommendations: 1
You had asked the question about the S2000. I had the pleasure of driving one at the Bondurant School of Driving. Two of my classmates were there and each brought their S2000. I'll give you my impression of the car with this example:

The two guys were older (60's +) and were the slowest on the autocross to everyone (we all were using Mustang GT's.) Around 2-3 seconds slower. The instructors let them use their cars on the cross, and they improved by 4 seconds a lap. I was amazed.

My buds and I all work at Ford, and we have done some good stuff. Driving the S2000 in a dynamic situation is fantastic. I own a Mustang GT (1998 tricked) and the 2000 can eat it (stock) alive. Even with my mods, I need to be at the top of my game to stay with it. Impressive car.

Driving it, you need to stay up in the revs (you know this from your Prelude) but there is something cool about 8500 revs. Wow.

I'm a Mustanger, but I am impressed by that little car.

Chuck

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement