Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 139
I don't know how many of you knew that Phil Marti, our curmudgeonly, retired IRS knuckle-dragger, had been hospitalized since early March when doctors discovered lung cancer.

I just received the following email from Don Peterson, a friend of Phil's.

(This email is being sent to everyone on Phil's Update Distribution List.)

We are very sad to report that Phil Marti passed away this morning, Wednesday April 16, 2014, shortly before 1:00 a.m.

As you know, Phil had had a series of surgeries and, due to a spinal infarction, had experienced paralysis below the waist. He had been at the National Rehab Hospital in DC, was on a program of physical and occupational therapy and seemed to be doing fine. On Tuesday, however, Phil experienced an extremely high temperature and heart rate and extremely low blood pressure. He was transferred from the National Rehab Hospital to the Washington Hospital Center ER around 11:00 am. Doctors attempted to stabilize him throughout the day, but Phil's body was simply not able to recover. The cause of this very sudden and unexpected situation is not known at this time.

Memorial services to celebrate Phil's life will be held in both DC and Topeka. We will keep you informed of the details as they develop.

Peace to all -- Don Peterson

Even though Phil and I had never met face-to-face, I considered him a friend and will miss his acerbic wit.

Ira
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SaddrbutWisrFool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120786 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
RIP, Phil. No wonder we didn't see any posts from him after April 8th.

Author: Anysimplefool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120787 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 2:28 PM
Recommendations: 3
Very sorry to hear this news. As a lurker on this board, I've been both amused and educated by Phil. I loved his style and wit. He will be missed.

Simple

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120788 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 3:19 PM
This is sad news. I'm going to miss Phil, his great advice on tax issues and his sense of humor.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120789 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 3:25 PM
Recommendations: 9
Even though Phil and I had never met face-to-face, I considered him a friend and will miss his acerbic wit.

Phil is the only person from TMF I recall meeting face to face. Had a very pleasant lunch with him 2 or 3 years ago when he was traveling through Orange County.

I'm just dumbstruck. I had no idea he was ill.

I'll miss you, Phil.

--Peter

Author: TMFBro Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120790 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 22
Phil was a great resource to all of Fooldom -- from the members to the employees. This is what has been posted on the internal communication system here at Fool HQ:

Today is a very sad day. This morning, Phil Marti (TMFPMarti), a longtime Fool, stroller, and friend to many of us, passed away after a series of surgeries. Despite being in the hospital for many weeks, he was answering tax questions on the RYR boards as recently as April 10. His last email to us was on that same day, heralding "good news" about his therapy. He attended previous Financial Health Days to help Fool employees, and helped many more via email. He was a folksy fellow who had a way of making tax-related posts funny and personable, and just a really good guy. We will pass along information about memorial services as we learn them.

Phil was an invaluable resource to so many of us, often illustrating lessons about taxes, estate planning, financial planning, and life in general with real-life stories or entertaining anecdotes. He will most definitely be missed.

Robert

Author: TMFTrog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120791 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Thanks for posting this, Ira.

Phil helped countless Fools over the years and we're terribly sad at the news of his passing. We've always taken great pride in the strength of our investing community and the generosity that our community members show each other as they each try to learn together and achieve financial freedom. Phil embodied that generosity as well as anyone, and he will be sorely missed.

As Robert said, we'll send along any further information as it becomes available.

Best Regards, and Fool On,

Matt Trogdon
External Communications Fool

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120792 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 5:40 PM
Recommendations: 3
I was fortunate to have met Phil twice on visits to the DC area; so much fun to talk to and such a wonderful presence on many boards. Baby Boomers, Taking Care of Patents and this board were 3 places he was so generous with his wit and wisdom. Very sad today....

Author: TMFBigFrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120793 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 8:48 PM
Recommendations: 6
Phil will be missed. He was a good man and incredibly patient and kind on all things tax related. He put a human face on the IRS, which takes amazing skill.

The date and time of his passing does not go unnoticed. May he rest in peace.

Best regards,
-Chuck
Inside Value Home Fool

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120794 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 9:26 PM
Phil Marti in-person was the same as he was as a cyber-friend. He was bright, knowledgeable, warm, witty, always eager to help others -- especially those who were under-served, and understanding of all human beings. He LOVED to trade friendly barbs, and there was no end to his energy and ability to help all of us in his many areas of expertise.

I was privileged to enjoy some of his other passion, good food, as I'd drive through Maryland or he would visit in Charlottesville. As Ira suggested, his last email communication with me was his good spirit under some trying physical complications, most likely in reply to some IRS cartoon I'd sent. This was completely unexpected, but of all the people I know I'd expect Phil to be fully ready to meet his maker.

Even on April 8 he missed not helping the under-served fill out IRS forms at tax time, and he helped many understand the intricate complexities of relationship law in many jurisdictions.

I knew him for 10 years at RYR and here at TMF. But I also know that he loved being with you, his colleagues on this board. I will miss him.

Bob
RYR Home Fool

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120795 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/16/2014 10:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. He was a great resource and always had amusing comments about taxes.

Author: im4uttx One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120796 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/17/2014 1:31 AM
Sad news indeed. I have not been in RYR very long, but his presence was a valuable part of the forum and his knowledge and flair will be missed.

Mark

Author: TMFSpiffyPop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120797 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/17/2014 4:22 AM
Thank you, Phil.

Foolishly,

David

Author: JimA759s One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120798 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/17/2014 7:49 AM
This is very sad news. I really appreciated and looked forward to Phils commentary and responses.

JimA

Author: lethean Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120799 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/17/2014 1:13 PM
I am sorry to hear this news. Thank you for informing us ira.

ML

Author: papaduke101 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120800 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/17/2014 6:11 PM
I am very sad after reading of Phil's unexpected death. He was one of my favorite "Fools" and I will always remember his gracious, informative replies to frequent posts that I made in the past.
The Motley Fool web site has lost an invaluable contributor.

Joe

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120801 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 4:43 AM
Recommendations: 8
I am deeply saddened upon hearing that Phil is no longer with us here on earth. I’ve been visiting this board for well over 10 years and I believe I’ve just about read every post on this board. I would always look forward to reading Phil’s replies not only to gain more knowledge of the tax laws/regulations and solutions to tax problems, but also to read his witty and folksy comments which usually put a big smile on my face.

Phil was a stickler when it came to the letter of the law and he would say so... but his analysis and answer was always right! I remember razzing him in jest, on one occasion, about him still wearing “green eye-shades“. I don’t exactly remember his retort, but he surely had the upper hand with his witty response to me.

We all have lost a wonderful, helpful and knowledgeable man and an invaluable contributor to TMF. You will be sorely missed.

Farewell my friend.

Rich
Arizona

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120802 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 5
This certainly is terrible news. I had no idea Phil was sick, either. But I haven't been quite that involved here the last few weeks, what with tax season, and "real work." Really - I do this for fun! (and learn a lot, too.)

Phil did a lot of good work here, and helped a lot of people.
Actually, in his work at the IRS, Phil was not a tax law expert; he was a Revenue Officer, which is a collection agent. It was he who referred to himself as a "knuckle-dragging goon." Accurate and concise as ever, that was Phil. Those guys don't really know much, and care less, about what the tax law really is -their job is to get money out of people.

And often, if people posed an involved technical question, he'd say, "That's above my pay grade." (A phrase often used on the job, in the public sector, I'm sure.)

I kidded him a couple of times that the reason he was so busy here, helping people, was to do penance for his past sins of extortion. I daresay, he did that, and more.

Bill

Author: SaddrbutWisrFool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120803 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
At least Phil no longer has to worry about dealing with the convoluted Internal Revenue Code not like the rest of us! May he Rest In Peace.

Author: TMFTomGardner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120804 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 37
Phil Marti, you were and are a truly authentic. We learned with you. You challenged the status quo. You are missed and will not be forgotten. Your family is in our thoughts. Thank you for everything you brought to all of our Foolishness together.

Tom

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120805 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 23
We are very sad to report that Phil Marti passed away this morning, Wednesday April 16, 2014, shortly before 1:00 a.m.

This is so sad to hear! I do, however, love that he waited until *just* after the filing deadline to leave us.

RIP, Phil. Thanks for everything.

Author: Foolferlove Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120806 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/18/2014 8:03 PM
Recommendations: 8

This is so sad to hear! I do, however, love that he waited until *just* after the filing deadline to leave us.

Of all the people who should have known to file an extension...

RIP Phil, I've known you on this board since 2000 or so. At one point around that time, I was so grateful for your advice to me and others I sent you a gift card in appreciation. Seems like yesterday. We will all miss you.

Author: FoolinSC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120808 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/19/2014 9:38 AM
This makes me sad. He was truly one of my favorite fools when I was a frequent poster here back in 2007-2008. RIP Phil..

Author: ResN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120809 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/19/2014 9:46 AM
Recommendations: 5
Like many others, I didn't actually know Phil, other than here on the Tax Board. He provided me with good advice any number of times, something I truly appreciated. Hearing of his passing makes me sad, even though I never met him. He must have been a very good person, who will be remembered by many as a good person. I'm sorry to hear he had such a hard time during his final months.

Author: nagdabbit Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120812 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/20/2014 6:31 AM
This is so very sad.
He has helped so many, myself included, with questions and it was always great to read (learn and laugh) when he chimed in on a post.

nag

Author: chk999 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120813 of 121599
Subject: Re: Sad News: Phil Marti Date: 4/20/2014 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
This is very sad news.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement