UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65779  
Subject: Safari 6 -- how to redownload? Date: 10/4/2012 1:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I updated Safari to version 6 on my Mac mini (OS X 10.7.5). It seems to have gotten corrupted, e.g. twitter doesn't display correctly on it, but Safari 6 works fine with twitter on my MBP.

How do I redownload Safari 6? I can't find an installer at Apple, nor have I figured out how to force Software Update to redownload it.

-awlabrador
Print the post Back To Top
Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61022 of 65779
Subject: Re: Safari 6 -- how to redownload? Date: 10/4/2012 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, I'll (partially) answer my own question. Here's someone who had a similar problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4370929?start=0&tst...

Unfortunately for me, redownloading and reinstalling Safari 6 didn't fix my problem. Given that, say, twitter looks fine in Safari 6 on my MBP but not on my mini, I assume the problem is not with twitter but with something on my mini -- if not Safari, then something corrupted in ... I dunno, WebKit? Probably not Flash or Java, but I really wish Safari had the old Activity window so I could have more information.

-awlabrador

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61030 of 65779
Subject: Re: Safari 6 -- how to redownload? Date: 10/4/2012 11:01 PM
Try logging in to OS X under a different user account to see if the problem persists.

Then let me know what happens, and I'll suggest the next step.

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61033 of 65779
Subject: Re: Safari 6 -- how to redownload? Date: 10/5/2012 12:46 AM
Thanks, Steven. I had been trying various things like resetting Safari, clearing caches, etc., and it occurred to me a few hours ago that, since one of the problems I was having was unsuccessfully logging out of twitter, maybe I should force the issue by deleting the twitter-related cookies. Doing so resulted in my having to log back into twitter when I revisited the site, and now everything is fine. Somehow, my cookies got corrupted, which affected the appearance and functionality of the site.

As you suggested, logging in under a different OS X user account would have had the same result, since a fresh OS X user account would have had no old cookies.

(Oh, and while I was assuming Safari 6 had been corrupted, I went ahead and upgraded to Mountain Lion (which didn't fix the twitter problem, because, as noted, it seems to have been a cookie thing). Whole new-but-somehow-familiar can of worms, like restarting license managers when a license or two got lost or corrupted, reinstalling Java, reinstalling X11. It feels like just a month ago that I upgraded to Lion. This is probably a record for me of the shortest time residing in one OS (Lion).)

-awlabrador

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement