UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ornia Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35387  
Subject: safe investments Date: 9/16/2001 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear friends: I need an advise for safe investments without tax cociderations since i am living here but didn't get my green card yet so i don't have to concider tax at all. i am amovice and very worried about the situation and what to do. i read a lot of yours posts and began to learn a little especially from Bruce. please help. ornia.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: foobar73 Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2078 of 35387
Subject: Re: safe investments Date: 9/16/2001 4:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Dear friends: I need an advise for safe investments without tax cociderations since i am living here but didn't get my green card yet so i don't have to concider tax at all. i am amovice and very worried about the situation and what to do. i read a lot of yours posts and began to learn a little especially from Bruce. please help. ornia.

You need to know what you're saving your money for in order to make a good decision about which investments to choose. If you're trying to keep money that will be instantly available in case of an emergency or immediate need, you should probably be looking at money market accounts at your bank. If you wish to get higher interest rates, you can consider bank certificates of deposit (CDs). Most CDs will charge you a penalty if you withdraw your money before the maturity date, so this might not be appropriate if you need immediate access to your money at all times.

I don't believe U.S. savings bonds are available to non-residents, but these would also be good long-term investments.

Finally, you should know that even non-residents must pay tax on U.S. source income. Interest paid to you by a bank, however, is specifically exempt from tax for non-residents. You can get a copy of IRS Form 1040-NR for more details.

Author: ornia Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2081 of 35387
Subject: Re: safe investments Date: 9/17/2001 1:45 PM
Thank you so much for your response. I shall find the form and that realy is a great help for me. thanks again. ornia.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement