Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mawhinney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/26/2013 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is it safe to electronically file taxes? We're a bit leery as we live in SC where some tax records that were e-filed have been hacked. Mailed tax forms can get lost or stolen. What is the safest method to deliver taxes?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18255 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/26/2013 8:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Electronic is as safe as it gets - go for it.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18256 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/26/2013 9:48 PM
Is it safe to electronically file taxes? We're a bit leery as we live in SC where some tax records that were e-filed have been hacked. Mailed tax forms can get lost or stolen. What is the safest method to deliver taxes?

Didn't the hacking also include a breach of security with respect to taxpayers' social security numbers in cases in which the taxpayer paid by mail too?

culcha

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18257 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/26/2013 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 4
Forgot to add - I've filed elec for 10+ years and would not do it any other way - I used Turbo Tax, have nothing to pay Uncle Sam but still do it all electronically - retired also!

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18258 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/27/2013 7:30 AM
I've been filing electronically using the IRS free fillable online forms option for 3 years. Simple and fast. This year I filed the afternoon of Wednesday, January 30 and my refund was in my bank account Thursday, February 7. I always thought they paid out refunds on Friday's only but it was there on Thursday, 8 days after I filed.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18259 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 2/27/2013 8:36 AM
My husband has been using Turbo Tax and filing electronically for years now with no problems.
We file as early as possible and get our refund in less than two weeks.

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18260 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 3/1/2013 3:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
I use TurboTax and have filed electronically for years. It's the fastest way to get your refund.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18261 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 3/1/2013 5:13 PM
It's the fastest way to get your refund.

Or pay what you owe!

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18262 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 3/1/2013 8:24 PM
Recommendations: 5
It's the fastest way to get your refund.

Or pay what you owe!

Since your comment could be interpreted a number of ways, for the benefit of those unfamiliar here's the routine when you e-file and have a balance due.

You can file any time, and the payment is still not due until April 15. You can choose to have the payment automatically drafted from your bank account, arrange payment through www.eftps.com or send a check. As long as a check is postmarked by April 15 it's timely.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18268 of 19222
Subject: Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date: 3/4/2013 9:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
I live in SC also, and my info was hacked out of SC last year. I did not know until I called the IRS regarding their eftps site, and I was advised that someone had already filed their Fed taxes in my name. The lady was quite nice and gave me instructions on what to do. This occurred prior to the press release by the State of SC that the DOR site had been hacked. This has been a real pain in the you-know-where. So, I filed my paper return, get a letter from the IRS stating they needed something else (which they already had). In February, I called the IRS ombudsman (lady) and explained that I am in dire straits and need my refund. Well, what do you know. I had to fax her my return and accompanying documentation. Then she calls and states they cannot ready driver's license. Well, SC has halograms all over our DL's and they do not copy (the purpose of the holograms). Now, I am on a waiting game again. I am not really in dire straits, but I spent $15K rehabbing my house in Florida and I still owe another $10K. So, I guess I am in dire straits.

The ombudsman told me that I could file online this year and next year they will have my PIN number. The IRS is going for IRS pin numbers (not your tax software pin number). In any event, she said when I file electronically, it may take a couple of extra weeks for me to receive my refund, but it would be a lot faster.

In your shoes, I would contact the IRS, explain that you are in SC, and would like to know if someone has filed their 2012 taxes in your name with your SS number. They are quite accommodating.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement