UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 169  
Subject: Safe withdrawal rates Date: 9/13/1999 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I ran across a really informative site published by Scott Burns of the Dallas Morning News. He covers all sorts of topics. One topic that is particularly interesting to this board is:

http://www.scottburns.com/wwtrinity.htm

This is a link to the, now famous, Trinity Study. It points out exactly why safe withdrawal percentages must be low. It uses actual stock market historical data as opposed to averages or formulas. Before I read this, I really could not see why I couldn't withdraw 7% from an all stock portfolio and be 'safe'. Now I understand!! It is now clear to me that as you approach retirement, and certainly after you're in it, you need a certain percentage of bonds (or Money Market's, CD's, Treasuries, etc) in your portfolio to STABILIZE it. NOT for the income!

If you don't stabilize your portfolio, and there is a significant recession, you will quickly run out of money!!

One thing the Trinity Study does not address, however, is the idea of REDUCING the amount you withdraw from your portfolio in a down-year. I have looked at this a bit, and for a 75/25 stock/bond portfolio, with the stock portion in S&P500, based on historical numbers, you could withdraw 6% to start, increasing by 4% a year, IF you are willing to drop back to the original starting amount in a down-year. This approach will keep you from running out of money based on historical data.

Regards, Russ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement